[Coco] Printing on cheap crappy printers with a CoCo was Re: Printing on a Coco with modern printers.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 11 00:23:23 EST 2014

On Saturday 11 January 2014 00:12:32 Aaron Wolfe did opine:

> On Jan 10, 2014 11:21 PM, "Theodore (Alex) Evans"
> <alxevans at concentric.net>
>
> wrote:
> > On 01/10/2014 09:13 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> >> Perhaps I misread that one.  The point remains that modern inkjets
> >> are extremely high resolution and I simply don't buy your claim of
> >> "on/off"
>
> per
>
> >> color per pixel, or 3/4 bit set of data.  I'm no expert on ink jets,
> >> but looking at a couple articles reveals that there are print heads
> >> where a piezoelectric mechanism causes between 0 and X tiny drops
> >> per jet, per pixel and another mechanism that causes the valve to be
> >> open for variable lengths of time.  Didn't find anyone talking about
> >> a simple on/off arrangement...
> >
> > Show me a single ink jet printer spec that gives bits per pixel or
> > dot.
>
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product/Specifications.do?sku=C11
> CB20201
>
> 5 droplet sizes, 6 inks... That's 36 bits unless there is some magic
> behind it.

Yup, but it comes with a 17,000 lb bull elephant too.  In the form of once
fired up the first time, you don't dare let it sit for a week else those
submicron sized nozzles are plugged, often forever.  I managed to keep an
older Epson ink squirter going for quite a while, several years, but it had
its cost because to keep it from plugging up, I had to run a full page
color output daily.  That added up to about $300 for ink a year.  Way more
than the $10 for a ream of paper.  I solved the lack of exercise problem by
using it to print the nightly amanda backup report which at that time also
use some color in its column headings.  Sadly, someone took the color out
of the raw template so its all B&W now.  I didn't even notice at the time.