[Coco] Printing on a Coco with modern printers.

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Fri Jan 10 18:57:30 EST 2014

On 1/10/2014 8:10 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Al Hartman <alhartman6 at optonline.net> wrote:
>> I believe a Coco is powerful enough, it just doesn't have enough memory to
>> composite a page.
>>
>> A CoCo 3 in Turbo mode with a 2 meg upgrade could probably print simple text
>> based pages, and upscale CoCo resolution graphics pages. The limiting factor
>> would be the serial port speed, rather than the processor speed.
>>
>> Especially, if it was equipped with a hard drive and used a page file.
>>
>> I used to sell LaserMaster Printers that did this on 386 based computers,
>> and this is how an Atari-ST printed to a Laser printer through the DMA port
>> with a limit of 2mb of RAM.
>>
> Ok.. I think I am understanding your proposal.. stop me if I get it wrong :)
>
> You're saying that the CoCo probably could drive a modern printer in a
> limited fashion, given enough ram etc.  *but* your idea was not that
> we actually try to do that.  Your idea was that we could take the
> output that CoCo programs already produce and connect the bitbanger
> they already use to a PC takes this "legacy" output and drives a
> modern printer.  Is that accurate?  I hope I'm getting it, because we
> could easily do this with just a couple changes to DriveWire.
>
> DW already knows how to render one type of output (fx80), and the
> framework supports adding more printer emulations if they were
> written.

Wrong kind of output though.  It outputs to a pdf file, not the raw
output needed to drive the printer.  And If you send it a file larger
than one page, you only get the first page.

Not that I belittle what does, just stating a fact.  If there were some
way to send the raw data to a printer instead of a pdf file, that might
prove interesting.