[Coco] Printing on a Coco with modern printers.

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Fri Jan 10 10:28:04 EST 2014

No, that's not what I was thinking of.

I was thinking to free up the Bit-Banger port for printing (or even telecom)
by moving DW to a dedicated serial or even parallel port.

Then, a CoCo could print to vintage printers, which can still be found on
eBay and at swap meets.

Under OS-9/NitrOS9 and DW, one surely could redirect printing through a host
system to a modern printer having the host composite and print the page
similar to how PostScript Engines used to do it.

But, I would think that most people today don't use their CoCo as their main
system. They use it to run vintage software like games, or other things. A
PC or Mac is much more suitable to desktop publishing, word processing, and
large spreadsheets.

Back in the day, I kept my Checkbook in Elite*Calc, but today I use
LibreOffice.

I was just thinking that designing a dedicated port for DW might open up new
possibilities, for added DW capabilities and more speed.

And... Since I run my CoCo mostly in RS-DOS mode, I'd be able to use my own
application to print things. It doesn't help me to load CGDP or the Car Sign
Designer from a DW drive, and then be unable to print.

-[ Al ]-