[Coco] 384 or 450 scanlines ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jan 9 20:30:31 EST 2014

Le 2014-01-09 à 15:37:00, Theodore (Alex) Evans a écrit :

> CGA uses the same scan rates as NTSC.  As the TV folks should confirm,
> an NTSC field consists of 262.5 lines at 15.75kHz.  The CoCo does not
> actually confirm to the standard as each field has a whole number of
> lines making interlacing by just switching images every field not really
> work right.  Some older 1024x768 VGA monitors and cards used interlaced
> video, but basic VGA (640x480) is non-interlaced and all modern SVGA
> displays are non-interlaced.

Sorry, I have not been sufficiently precise. VGA includes CGA modes (and
same-resolution modes with more colours). VGA displays 200-line modes
using 400 lines (not 480). However, I don't know why I wrote that it's
interlaced, because it's not : VGA displays 60 full 320x200 frames (as
60*400 lines).

I definitely didn't mean another meaning of the initials "VGA", which is
the name of an image size used in video-projector jargon :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Vector_Video_Standards4.svg/960px-Vector_Video_Standards4.svg.png

And compared to EGA, VGA didn't only introduce 480-line modes, it also
introduced 400-line and 240-line modes. The standard text mode that every
VGA/SVGA PC boots in has 400 lines (25 rows * 16 pixels). There's not only
one standard basic VGA picture size.

768 lines is definitely not VGA, it's made by what is called a SuperVGA
card, though the projector jargon calls it differently, and though the
plug is still called just VGA (because pin-compatible).