[Coco] The Deluxe Color Computer

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Thu Jan 9 16:44:02 EST 2014

I don't know how many more sales it would have garnered Tandy, honestly. I
think they were happy with the sales volume the CoCo was bringing in and
probably correctly weighed the added costs and hassle versus just the
incremental updates they eventually went with. It pretty much translated to
steady, reliable (though unspectacular compared to something like the C-64)
sales and revenue. With that said, for the CoCo 3, it REALLY would have
been nice if they found a way to get an oboard SSC or equivalent - among
other improvements - considering the time of its release. Of course, again,
it was clear they had very specific cost control/profit margins in mind
that favored incremental progress over anything radical. While we may
begrudge that strategy, that path did allow the platform to last a good
decade at retail, something that few other platforms can lay claim to.

-Bill

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and