[Coco] Another Radio Shack Article

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jan 8 16:29:17 EST 2014

On Wednesday 08 January 2014 16:18:26 James Jones did opine:

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Interactive tv, to me, started out on bald slippery tires that never
> > got any traction despite MW's best efforts which I think were
> > substantial. Sad for MW but that was the peg they hung their hat on.
>
> Yeah. Alas, CD-[Ii] was horribly underpowered right out of the gate. The
> Signetics 68070 was even slower than a stock 68000 because it had one
> fewer ALU so that address calculation took extra cycles. I recall an
> article interviewing Todd Rundgren;

And if anybody knew, Todd did.

> he said they pushed the box as far
> as they could for the _No World Order_  disc. The results were, IMHO,
> kind of interesting, but not something that would hold your attention
> for long. Ironically, MW's influence on multimedia now is through
> companies started by its alumni: Bitrouter, Vidiom, and others I can't
> remember the names of at the moment.

That why I don't recommend getting old James, I've went and done it myself.
Darn it.  But the sheer amount of collected brain power in that relatively
small building back in the later 80's was indeed awe inspiring. I am glad I
stopped by and took the 50 cent tour way back when.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A large number of installed systems work by fiat.  That is, they work
by being declared to work.
		-- Anatol Holt
         law-abiding citizens.