[Coco] bad sysgo in nightly download?

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Tue Jan 7 16:18:14 EST 2014

On 1/7/2014 12:47 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 January 2014 14:39:03 Tim Fadden did opine:
>
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> I downloaded the nightly build 2 days ago, and have been trying to build
>> custom boot floppy's  and dw images, without success.
>>
>> I have narrowed it down that the files sysgo_dd and sysgo_h0 in the
>> nitros9 directory path are both bad, and much larger than working
>> sysgo's.
>>
>> I have no way of compiling these.
>>
>> Is it acceptable to use sysgo's from prior nitros images that are known
>> good?  I'm going to try, and expect it should work but.......
> Sysgo_dd is 483 bytes as built here, how big is yours?
>
> And size shouldn't be an issue since its a transient program that is
> executed once at bootup, and for size reasons, probably needn't be taking
> up room in the OS9Boot file, or in precious system ram.  It should load,
> execute, and go away.
>
> I would much rather believe that its failure is a bad descriptor for /h0 or
> /dd as the case might be. That would prevent its being found.
>
> Do you actually have your hard drive formatted and loaded with nitros9
> already?
>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> --
>
> Cheers, Gene
Gene,

The sysgo from the nightly download is 511 bytes.

The reason I say it is bad is because ident say it is bad, and if I use
a previous sysgo, it works.

This had nothing to do with the hard drive , I was trying to use the /dd.
Also, all of this is concerning making boot floppy's.

How I caught on was that I was putting it into the os9boot file. When
booting from that image it failed with out of memory.

After some more studying etc.  I took it out of the os9boot file, and on
the /dd device.  still no go.  Then I did an ident on it , and ident
says BAD.

I then did Ident on the files on the nitros9 modules directory and both
the sysgo_dd and sysgo_h0 came up bad.

I have succsesfully created literally hundreds of boot floppy's through
the years, so not a complete neophyte.  :-)

This is the output from the sysgo that is on what I download from the
nightly link.

Header for:  SysGo
Module size: $01FF    #511
Module CRC:  $221288 (Bad)
Hdr parity:  $D4
Exec. off:   $00F1    #241
Data Size:   $00FC    #252
Edition:     $05      #5
Ty/La At/Rv: $11 $83
Prog mod, 6809 obj, re-en, R/O

Notice that it says (Bad).

If the nightly link on the sourceforge page is not a good image, where
is the best latest image?

I may still not have everything correct,  but I can only fix one thing
at a time as I figure it out.
This is a problem.  Whether it is my overall problem is of no importance.
Ident should run clean on the sysgo modules.  After that is sorted out,
then I can move on.
Seeing I don't have a way to compile the source code, I am at a dead end.
By the way. using a known good sysgo module from a previous version works.

I brought this

Ain't computers fun!
Tim

p.s. when the sysgo issue is solved, I will start with the
superdriver/tc3 issue.  That does not work with the the nightly download
either.  Mark is also having problems with it, so it is not just me
doing something wrong.