[Coco] Source codde for RiBBS

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 00:06:46 EST 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM, Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:

> Greg, I looked at that code as well. It's just a disassembly of a few cmd modules. The rest are assembled already and are just copied to disk (unless I'm missing something).
>
> I looked through all my archives and other than Basic and Basic09 BBSs, there are no BBS sources. I thought I saw the AcBBS sources at one time, but I can't find them anywhere. I must have imagined it. There may be a couple of RSDOS BBS Sources in assembly, but Bill is looking for OS9 stuff.
> The whole idea is to modify an OS9 BBS to use DW4. It may just be a matter of redirecting the port.
> Got any ideas Aaron?

Theoretically, any BBS or other telecom software for OS9 can work
unchanged with DW4, so long as it lets you specify /N as the device.
You could even support something that is hard coded to say /T2 by
changing one of the /Nx device descriptors to be named /T2.  This is
how we make MIDI programs that are hard coded to /MIDI work.  We just
rename /N14 to /MIDI.

In practice there are some issues with BBS software in particular due
to various hacks BBS softwares used to monitor the connection status.
RiBBS has proven troublesome in this regard.  I'm going from distant
memory but I believe it wants a special driver or mechanism that
monitors the CD line, and /N doesn't provide this.

The OS9 L2 BBS that is in NitrOS9 does work mostly fine with /N.  I
ran an online OS9 L2 BBS on my coco a couple years ago.  Several folks
from the list logged in and said hello.  There are some weird issues
with screen echo in a few places that I never sorted out, but it was
definitely usable.

-Aaron