[Coco] Network Access for my COCO

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Sun Jan 5 17:11:55 EST 2014

> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>

>> Anyway, here is my inetd.conf:
>>
>> 6809 telnet protect banner,login,
>> 6811,httpd,
>>

> looks fine.

OK, I got inetd working, kind of...   I think it was "protect"
that was keeping it fropm working.  have to look into how that
works and fix it.

Why did I say "kind of"?  Because both my COCO console and DW4 are
spewing error messages which must be affecting performance as that
is a lot of wasteed cpu cycles.  Have to try to figure that out, too.

But, now on to the next part.  Why call "login" directly in inetd.conf?
Isn't that the function of "tsmon"?

And then there is the comment in the sample inetd.conf: "(this
feature may be removed in favor of a more secure coco side
authentication solution)".  Login provides password based
authentication.  The only problem at the moment is that the
password is stored in the clear but that should not be a major
obstacle.  So, what am I missing?

As you can see, I am more interested in the multi-user/multi-tasking
capabilites rather than OS-9's ability to run games. Hopefully I will
have a decent system for doing development work on soon and then we
will see what I can come up with.  MicroEMACS anyone?  :-)  Or, how
about a database?  Anyone here remember RIM? What about GKS for graphics?
And I still have plans for doing a floor-turtle for use with Logo.  So
many plans, so little time. :-)

bill