[Coco] Network Access for my COCO

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 4 21:49:32 EST 2014

On Saturday 04 January 2014 21:35:30 Aaron Wolfe did opine:

> Documentation of the networking functions is available on the main
> documentation wiki:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/drivewireserver/index.php?title=Us
> ing_DriveWire#Ports
>
> You do not need to make any changes to config.xml to use inetd.
>
> You may need to set a TermPort value if you want to use headless, or
> there may be one set already, just depends on how long ago you
> installed DW I think.  This would be the only setting needed on the
> server side for networking in any case, and again it is only required
> for headless mode.
>
> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM,  <billg999 at cs.uofs.edu> wrote:
> > OK.  I got DW4 running on a PC.  I have a floppy cartridge with a
> > DriveWire ROM and it boots nicely.  Now I am moving on to the next
> > level.  I want to be able to be able to remotely access the COCO so
> > I don't have to go to my computer room to work on it.
> >
> > I have tried booting the "headless" image but can not connect to the
> > console (yes, I did put in a TermPort value) but it just times out.
> > I also tried starting inetd as just telneting in would work, too.
> > But, same thing.
> >
> > Is there some setting I need to put into the config.xml to tell it
> > to listen on these ports for outside requests?  I looked at the
> > output from netstat and there does not seem to be any listeners
> > running on the PC.
> >
> > Is there any kind of a step-by-step set of instructions?
> >
> > bill

That is something I've been meaning to clarify with you Aaron.

My system has gotten itself into a loop, and the level of the error traffic
flowing back and forth was running about 1000 packets/second according to
the servers gui.  I let it run that way while trying to figure out the
problem, and fried my SALT chip, which in my case was running on the full
+- 12 volts from an AT psu.  So it would run hotter than a normal coco3's
salt would, however since the pass transistor was removed years ago, and
its original output leg is now where the 5 volt supply line is hooked in,
so theoretically the S portion of the chip wasn't doing anything, although
when I put the new one in, which will be about another month before I get
the pair I ordered, I believe I'll leave that pin flying so the S part is
isolated.

Anyway, here is my inetd.conf:

6809 telnet protect banner,login,
6811,httpd,

Is it possible to get a feedback runaway if something in config.xml is
wrong?  Is to, what should I be checking/changing?

FWIW, I have yet to elicite a login response from a "telnet localhost:6809"
here either.