[Coco] 6309 running in a Coco 1

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Jan 3 00:43:49 EST 2014

Thanks William, I'm not that proficient on the 6309 modes.
So the Nitros9 code "could" be assembled to 6309 native mode for Coco 1&2. Would there be much advantage to this without the double clock? I have no clue as to how much speed would be gained in native mode without the clock speedup.
In this case, all that would be needed is for the makefiles to be altered to include the 6309 conditionals in the level 1 builds and disks to be made. Can this be done without setting the clock speed up in the conditionals?

Since I don't have a 6309 on any of my Cocos, I never messed with it much other than using the 6309 Nitros9 L2 builds for the Vcc emulator.
My Coco 3 has the Disto 1-meg upgrade which has a DAT board soldered directly to the 6809 so upgrading it to a 6309 would be a NIGHTMARE. Mark at Cloud9 told me he wouldn't touch it :-) I would love to have a 6309 in there. I remember back when one of the vendors in Rainbow was doing the 6309 speedup kit, a friend of mine had his Coco 3 set up with the kit. We put our Cocos side by side, mine running hacked/patched (for speed) OS-9 on a 6809, his running the original NitrOS-9 on a 6309. The difference was amazing at the time. One of the best examples we found was the "landscape" 3D graphics demo for OS-9. His Coco would be a screen or so ahead of mine, leaving it behind LOL
The funnt thing is the "landscape" demo was written in 6809 code aso all his speed was coming from the Nitros9 graphics driver with 6309 code. I could only imagine what it could have done had the landscape demo been written in 6309 asm!

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com