[Coco] Internet/BBS connectivity via Coco1

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Thu Jan 2 17:01:27 EST 2014

On 1/2/2014 1:24 PM, Bill Pierce wrote:
> Derek (and others),
> DriveWire4 will do the same thing in emulating the modem. If you have no need for drivewire, then this is the perfect idea
> But I think the real problem is not the means of connection.... but where to connect to.
> I can make internet connections on my Coco all day long... but I have no idea of an address to connect them to.

Where to connect to?   Have you heard of Google?  Just did a quick
search with "internet BBS" and came up with several, along with a load
of information on setting one up. I could look them all up and give you
a list but that would talk all the fun away from the search! I see you
admin web pages.  A text based bbs via telnet would be much simpler it
would seem to me.  Telnet itself does not do upload/download etc.  In
it's simplest form, it is just a direct pipe to transfer ascii text and
cntl codes back and forth. What you do with it on either end is up to
telnet client or host to deal with. Also, one of our list members runs a
bbs over the internet. "Square One"  I believe is the name, run by CW
Gordon AKA "Bill". If you can't find what you are looking for on the
net, I would think Bill could give you some pointers.  I think he has
been also working on getting a coco hosting a bbs to the net. I don't
know about midi, so can't help you there.  Do you want to connect to
bbs's, or host one  either from PC or your coco? Both can be done.  Two
different animals, but similar.  Good luck on your endeavor!  Do some
research and see what you can find.  When you have questions, give the
list a holler.    Your journey would make a great blog. to put on your
web page.

Tim :-)