[Coco] First experiences with my DE1

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Feb 16 19:38:58 EST 2014

I was going to stay out of this one as well until Art spoke up.
I disagree to a "certain" degree.

First.... A newbie writing the manual? That's Like I send you a copy of my current project and tell you to write me a manual.... or better yet... just run it :-)
How can someone with no knowledge of the software write a manual? Yes, once one is familiar with the program and has some knowledge of the inner workings, then yes, they could write a manual.

The author/developer at least needs to keep some notes, command trees, installation instructions....
Without some sort of beginning, the is no where to start. I'm not saying they need to write the manual, but they do need to have a part in it... it's their software/hardware.
My current project has over 125 menus buried in main, sub, and sub of sub menus. There are points where there are special keys that will do special things, these are not in any way marked in the GUI... to run this without a manual, you would miss half the functionality of the software.
I have written a manual for every piece of software I've released and some I haven't released. I don't expect anyone to understand my whimsy nor write it for me.
I feel if I'm going to offer something to the public free or commercial, I at least owe them some instruction for using it. For without instruction they will not get full benefit of the thousands of hours of work I've put into this labor of love and then I will not get the attention that I was striving for to start with. And isn't that what we do it for in the end? The attention.
You ever think that "maybe" this is why the Coco community is in the state of non-popularity that it's in? No one can figure out how to run the stuff you're producing. If it's meant for your own personal use then don't put it in public and expect someone else to finish it for you... or question how to run it.. or how to install it.

As a professional musician, I have played in many bands, some of which I required my fellow bandmates to play some of my original compositions. Now how would it sound if I stepped on stage with a a bunch of musicians who not only have no sheet music to my songs, but they're never even heard them. It would be a disaster. Any time I've required someone to play my music, I've provided chord charts, sheet music, and/or drum charts PLUS a recording of the complete song.
And most of all, after spending many hours composing the music and doing the arrangements, I didn't say "Well I wrote the song... you can figure it out..."
I would be out of business.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia