[Coco] First experiences with my DE1

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Feb 16 18:30:14 EST 2014

On 02/16/2014 03:21 AM, Nick Marentes wrote:
> My DE1 has arrived and I was keen to get my CoCo3FPGA system up and
> running!
>
> Many hours later, after harassing a few kind people with questions to
> the difficulties I was having, I finally got my DE1 running as a
> CoCo3... sort of.
>
> There were still some problems and my CoCo3 was booting in Extended
> Basic only.

By Extended BASIC only do you mean ECB and not DECB (DriveWire HDB-DOS),
or (D)ECB and not (Nitr)OS-9?  If the latter, what kind of problem are
you having?  My CoCo3FPGA is the older Xilinx board, but there is a bug
that affects me where the emulated floppy disk head isn't always at the
position DECB expects it to be.  The upshot is that if you try the DOS
command right away it doesn't always boot. If you then do a DIR DECB
will 'find' the disk head.  Then you can successfully boot with the DOS
command.  Not sure if that is a problem you're having.  Not sure if it
affects the Altera version. But there it is.  I beat my head against
that for a while before I found out about the bug.  Once NitrOS-9 boots,
there is no such problem, so it must have to do with HDB-DOS'
interaction with the Becker Port.

JCE