[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 16 02:46:30 EST 2014

On 16/02/2014 3:43 PM, Mark McDougall wrote:
> On 16/02/2014 3:29 PM, Bill Loguidice wrote:
>
>> Even though the
>> MSX community is many times larger than the CoCo community,
>
> Yes, the MSX was an open standard, as opposed to a specific vendor
> machine, that was produced by a number of (mainly Japanese)
> manufacturers. A bit like the PC in fact. Hence the large user base
> still around.
>
> The VDP emulation in the above-mentioned was quite impressive when I
> looked at it, being able to switch video modes on-the-fly. I wonder
> how easy or otherwise it would be to add that to Coco3FPGA to emulate
> Luis' new Wordpak2+ !?!
>
> Regards,

No! This is where it starts falling down!

We start adding all these add-on's and then what do we have? A mish-mash
machine with no definite personality.

The Word-Pak is just an add-on. What Gary has created so far is good...
and very CoCo'ish. All the old modes plus extensions of those modes.

If he decides to add sprites and whatever, it should be added in a CoCo
way that adds to the CoCo's spec. Not trying to be a
"jack-of-all-trades" or a "chameleon with multiple faces".

Sound would be another thing but let Gary decide how to implement it in
a way that leverages off the current CoCo3 design.

Nick