[Coco] 20 games that defined the TRS-80 Color Computer Video

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Sat Feb 15 13:29:56 EST 2014

David Linsley wrote:
> Seeing Speed Racer took me back. I wasted so much of 1985-86 playing
> that!
>
> I'd add Shocktrooper to my list.

Putting my judgemental hat on and personalising it somewhat, as another
UK-er and Dragon user, I'd exclude all the CoCo-3-only games (we didn't
have such a thing in our country), and include Dragon exclusives (a
bunch of CoCo games were trivially ported in one direction, there was
nothing stopping it going the other way).  I'd definitely include:

Airball
Beanstalker
Buzzard Bait
Juxtaposition
Lucifer's Kingdom
Manic Miner
Project Nebula
ROTABB
Rommel's Revenge
Shock Trooper
Syzygy
Tanglewood
The King / Donkey King
Time Bandit
Tube Way Army

>From the video:

Color Baseball
 - Would never have been interested in such a thing.

Polaris
 - Did enjoy playing this on a friend's CoCo, but "Defense" filled the Missile
   Command shaped hole at home.

Ghost Gobbler, Trapfall
 - "Racer Ball" and "Cuthbert In The Jungle" here.  Two of the earliest
   games I ever played - before we had a Dragon of our own - so good
   associations, but sadly not that enjoyable now!

Dungeons Of Daggorath
 - Never played it as a kid, and now I know that I was really missing out.
   I *wish* I'd known about it when I had time to sit down and play
   through such a game.

Notable games I'd *not* include are:

Downland
 - Well, I mean it looks good, but surely it's impossible to get more
   than a couple of screens in?

Fire Force
 - Really good title music, but completely unplayable.

Shaolin Master
 - Rise Of The Robots before it was cool ;)

..ciaran