[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 13 00:24:19 EST 2014

On 13/02/2014 3:17 PM, Michael Robinson wrote:

> Here is what I see as reasonable...
>
> Build an advanced 6809 processor/GIME chip replacement that runs at
> minimally 800 Mhz.  Add to this processor new instructions like the old
> ones that allow adding, multiplying, loading, storing, and subtracting
> on 32 bit registers.  Add new pokes that allow the speed to be adjusted
> all the way down to what the CoCo 2 ran at, to high speed on the CoCo 3
> to 800 Mhz+.

I'm sorry, but it's simply astonishing (to be polite) that you describe
the design of a new 800MHz processor as "reasonable".

Reasonable for Intel, or Nvidia maybe. But anyone else...

Even ST 32-bit ARM micro's are capped < 200MHz...

> Taking the Hitachi 6309 or the Motorola 6809E, what should
> the 32 bit grandchild look like?  A program written for grand dad should
> run on the grand child, I know that much at least.

Oh you want a backwards-compatible instruction set as well?

Oh my!