[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Feb 13 00:02:01 EST 2014

Michael.... where the hell did your parents buy that Coco? Japan? and have it shipped to Arabia by donkey mail? Via Austraila?
I bought a Coco 3 in 1991 for $99 (my 2nd one, paid $199 for my 1st one in 87). I then ordered my 512k upgrade for $59 (3rd paty), the Disk Drive was on manager's special for $99...
The Coco debuted in Radio Shack for $219.99 in Oct. 1986 and the price went down steadily until it's demise. On clearence (1992-1995), I know people who got them for $25, $45, and $50.
Even at standard retail prices, a full system wouldn't be more than $800-$900 with EVERYTHING:

1991 Catalog Prices (just checked the catalog):
Coco 3 - $199 (average longest price run)
512k Upgrad $59 (abo)
Disk Drive - $299 (stayed on sale in my area for $99)
CM-8 Monitor $299 (they never came down)
Multipak Interface - $99 (if you could even find one.. discontinued)
Joysticks or mouse -$10
Cassette Recorder $39

If you paid $1000 for just a Coco 3, then they laughed at you walking across the parking lot, into the store, behind your back at the register and for hours after you left... then the whole store ate lunch at Outback... On you. And they still made commission :-)

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com