[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 9 18:57:15 EST 2014

On 10/02/2014 10:20 AM, Steve Batson wrote:

> I hear a lot about the low number of CoCo enthusiasts compared to other
> platforms. Attracting new users that aren't super CoCo savvy with a
> simple and easily used solution such as Good Emulators could be a way to
> grow those numbers.

I agree with your sentiments but I just don't see any solution being able to
attract new users, regardless how cheap, simple or even sexy it is. You
either know what a Coco is, and are still interested in tinkering with it,
or you are completely and utterly disinterested.

Let's face it, the Coco is no Apple II or C64. There's no folklore
surrounding it; no stories of Steve & Woz in the garage (I watched 'Jobs'
last night!) or near global market saturation. There's a reason our group is
small - the Coco was never really that popular (regardless of its technical
merits) - and you've got next-to-no chance of making it any more popular
some 30 years on.

So let's focus our efforts on making this hobby more interesting and more
convenient for those of us who are here now, because I'm afraid that's it.
Once we're all 6 feet under, the Coco is going to be little more than a
Wikipedia entry. Sad, but likely.

Regards,