[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Sun Feb 9 18:20:27 EST 2014

Mark,

Trust me, I'm not looking through any type of rose colored glasses or believing that the diverse group of people is going to agree on everything. And I'm not going to loose sleep if nothing happens at all, I'm just expressing some thoughts. I do agree that the Raspberry PI is not the best solution because of it's limitations and speed. As you say, common sense and logic doesn't see to matter with these discussions. And totally agree that design by committee will NEVER work. I also agree it's going to take one or more individuals with the knowledge, skills and desire to come up with a design and just make it happen.

I hear a lot about the low number of CoCo enthusiasts compared to other platforms. Attracting new users that aren't super CoCo savvy with a simple and easily used solution such as Good Emulators could be a way to grow those numbers. I know some people want their hardware, but that can get expensive and many people just aren't going to spring for it if it goes past the pain point. PC based emulation just seems the cheapest and most reasonable overall because just about everyone has a PC that could be used.

Here's a thought, what if there was a CoCo Emulator or even an OS that either ran on top of Windows or just booted up without the need another OS? It could have CoCo Compatibility and Brand New capabilities that take advantage of today's hardware. Might need to be done by selecting or changing modes, but seems like it could take out many roadblocks for new stuff.

I'm just brainstorming here :)

At least there are some decent emulators and options out now to keep what people do have going until the CoCo Enthusiasts are all gone.