[Coco] edition byte

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Feb 8 15:28:27 EST 2014

On Saturday 08 February 2014 15:24:21 William Astle did opine:

> On 14-02-08 09:51 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > If it is defined in the module header info in the source file, along
> > with the MODNAME, then it should be legal to, say the last thing
> > before the emod statement, have the
> > macro as
> >
> > 	FCS MODNAME
> > 	FCB EDITION
> >
> > end	emod
>
> lwasm will not ignore it if you put the above in.
>
> In fact, any assembler generating direct binary output will require that
> the edition by manually inserted exactly as above. That is because it is
> *not* part of the actual module header.
>
> It is only when you are doing separate linking (for instance, rma/rlink
> or lwasm/lwlink) that the edition can be automatically added, and then
> it is done by the linker. lwlink does, in fact, support this. However,
> lwlink does support this. It requires putting some things into a special
> section called "__os9". This can be used to specify the module name and
> several other module features. The symbols supported in that section are
> "type", "lang", "attr", "rev", "stack" and "edition". The "edition"
> symbol might not be mentioned in the documentation, on reflection. These
> symbols are only recognized by lwlink if they are in the "__os9"
> section.
>
> The edition can also be specified in a linker script but that starts
> getting unwieldy very quickly.

Very good to hear William, thanks.  Obviously, the majority of the older
code I have "out there" was built with the assembler flavor of the time,
some even with xsm or csm. Much with the OEM asm and lately the 6309 aware
asm, all on the coco3 except for the current version of the serial mouse sb
file.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.