[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 6 19:25:01 EST 2014

On 7/02/2014 11:17 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:

> Is PS/2 even still a thing? I haven't seen a system with it in years...?

PS/2 is trivial to add to FPGA projects. Also there are plentiful 'spare'
keyboards lying around for the very reason you cite.

USB is actually a PITA - and extremely resource hungry - to add to an FPGA
project. Most (all?) projects with USB host support do so via an external
microprocessor with USB capabilities. For me though, that detracts from
the end result as it's no longer a one-chip solution.

FTR I've worked on an FPGA project with an on-chip host and can tell you
it's a MAJOR undertaking. You need a soft-core processor and a host USB
stack running on it, and that's just for starters.

Regards,