[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Thu Feb 6 15:36:50 EST 2014

Is a true CoCo 4 even necessary at this point? The original idea behind the
CoCo 4 (or CoCo 4s, more correctly) was to have a current platform for CoCo
users to move to after the CoCo 3's demise. Obviously, that ship has long
since sailed. Maybe we can agree that it's important to recreate the CoCo 3
as closely as possible and offer "transparent" improvements, like a faster
clock speed, improved audio-video modes, etc., that can optionally be taken
advantage of. The need to replicate the CoCo 3 solves the problem of these
machines breaking down and replacement parts no longer being available,
helps the main platform spread in usage, etc., but can still do things that
a normal CoCo 3 never could if one so chose.

Of course, there are examples of modern "simple" add-ons for platforms like
the ColecoVision (Super Game Module), Atari 7800 (XM), and the F18A, the
latter of which is a simple drop in chip for the TI-99/4a, MSX, and
ColecoVision/Adam platforms that is an FPGA-Based TMS9918A video chip
replacement offering VGA modes and accelerated performance if programmed
for. This community is probably a bit too small for something like that,
and you still have the problem of needing to indefinitely maintain original
hardware. I mean, even with the ColecoVision getting things like the Super
Game Module and being able to use the F18A, etc., work is still being done
on an FPGA-replacement that fits in the original case. In short, there are
plenty of other communities we can look to for examples of how they're
tackling the problem.

The question remains, how will THIS community come to a general consensus
of a direction to rally around?

-Bill

 Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and