[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Tue Feb 4 10:31:46 EST 2014

> Nick,
>
> Here's one source.  You need to also get the programming tools from Altera
> to program the FPGA, but you'd need to do that with any solution.  There
> are other sources as well.
>
> http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=165&No=83
> http://www.altera.com/education/univ/materials/boards/de1/unv-de1-board.html

Well, all this talk about the DE-1 got me interested.  So I went to
buy one.  Price seemed nice.  But then they tacked on $30-$40 in
shipping.  I buy from China all the time and have never paid that
kind of shipping.  But, OK, I really wanted one.  So I get to checkout
and it says PayPal all over the place.  Except where you actually pay.
It will be a cold day in hell when I give an outfit like this my Credit
Card number.

You know what, once you get to the bottom line, the one from Europe
doesn't look so expensive after all.  But at this point, I think I
will just drop the idea entirely.  i was looking forward to running
a couple of those systems and even learning to program an FPGA myself.
But it looks like this is yet another of those ideas that is just not
yet ready for prime time.

bill