[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 21:38:27 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Nick Marentes <nickma at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at ...> writes:
>
>> The DE-1 is real and already has CoCo3FPGA ported to it.  Several of
>> us have been running FPGA CoCos on them for a couple years now.  I
>> guess I'm a little lost as to why this new board is preferable?
>> It seems to be fairly equivalent except that CoCo3FPGA isn't ported,
>> so you can't just install a premade CoCo3 image and go (like you can
>> with the DE-1 right now).
>>
>> > If it can emulate these 8Mhz 16bit computers, surely it's gooid enough to
>> > emulate a 1.79Mhz CoCo3 and then a bit more.
>>
>> The DE-1 has been emulating a CoCo 3 at 20+Mhz for some time.. again
>> not sure what is compellingly different about the MIST?  I must be
>> missing something, sorry not trying to be a PITA.
>

> Ok then. Where can I buy one and how much?

Mouser has them for $165 usd...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Terasic/P0528/?qs=ePbE9GiMmvXp2CeFyK%2Ffqw%3D%3D&gclid=CIKwlP22sbwCFeZj7Aodk24AkA

not sure how to order one in aus, but there might be a direct way

Here is a nice blog with lots of info, including a nice "inside the
case" coco 3 installation:

http://8littlebits.wordpress.com/category/coco3fpga/

And here is the official project group:

> Strange that if it is already available and low cost that few people have
> bought one. There should be no more discussions of a CoCo3/4 since it
> already exists.

Well.. a CoCo 3 FPGA certainly exists.  I don't know exactly how many
people have one, but I doubt its very many.  There have been 2 or 3
people with them at the past couple CoCoFests.  Personally, even
though I have a DE-1, I am still very interested in continued
discussion about CoCo on FPGA, I think it is a great path forward for
the hobby.