[Coco] MShell Update

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Feb 1 17:00:20 EST 2014

On Saturday 01 February 2014 16:39:25 Bill Pierce did opine:

> Gene, it's the same copy of sleuth I got from you. I don't use any other
> disassembler in OS9. I haven't tried upgrading it to 6309 yet, too much
> on the plate for now.

Same here, not too much of it coco related.  I got a great deal on some
ball screws to put in my toy mill, should improve the pcb etching,
particularly if I build a new post carrying a much higher speed spindle.

Then today, after replacing the window regulator whose cable broke when the
window was frozen shut last week, I plugged in the analyzer to see why I
had a check engine light, came on as it was warming up from the -8F we had
the other day and hasn't gone off.  Analyzer says knock sensor, bank 2.

Neither one is 18 months old yet, one was replaced when I put a fresh long
block in it about 18 months ago, and the other side was replaced 4 or 5
months later.  I am NOT impressed as its about a 2 to 3 bill job to replace
as they are down in the valley, under the intake manifold.  About $60 for
the microphone, $65 or so for the gasket kit, and I won't ask Jay to do it
for less than $150.  Grrrr...

> As for the 2 panel screen, I also have a 3 and 4 panel screen set up for
> some upcoming modules. I figured 2 panels is enough for a file manager
> and it gives more real estate per drive. It display 42 files per panel
> scrollable up to (256k/768k/1.5m) of filenames. You'll be able to do
> batch select, copy move delete rename etc. This will include RSDOS
> partitions as well as files currently on the DW4 PC host. I may even
> include the facility to move "dsk" files to the OS9 HD to strip the
> files (courtesy Bob Devries) but it would really just be overkill.

That sounds useful.  What I did the last 2 or 3 times before I got dw
running, was to rzsz it to the 2nd HD, do a dir -e to get the offsets where
it was, the change the ofs etc in the /sh descriptor to point to it, cd
/sh, cd on up the directory tree to the tree to install, and then dsave it
to the other drive.  As you know well by now, there are numerous ways to
skin a cat, not all of them fatal to the cat.

> I'll be using the 3 and 4 panel screens in the Auto boot creator and a
> couple of others. I'm looking forward to creating the text editor with
> the 1.5meg data buffer. On a 512k machine it should have at least a
> 256k buffer, the largest of any "in memory" text editor ever for OS9.

That we have needed for a very very long time.

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

Cheers Bill, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.