[Coco] Drivewire & Bluetooth

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 22:59:52 EST 2014

On Dec 22, 2014 10:17 PM, "Robert Hermanek" <rhermanek at centurytel.net>
wrote:

> Well, I think he's saying you do it through rs-232 as per normal, but
because nowadays you can plug pretty much any kind of converter in there,
your coco can be anywhere.  Tired of bluetooth?  Why not put your coco
directly on wi-fi?  (found this link on amazon, have never tried such a
thing, but I bet it works)

http://www.amazon.com/Keynice-Ethernet-Intelligent-Communication-Wireless/dp/B00JTUVA0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419304435&sr=8-1&keywords=rs232+wifi

Yep, thats what I was trying to say :)

That device might work.  Well, it should absolutely work but my experience
has been that sometimes these types of things require client software that
turns things back into a serial port on the server and that can be wonky.

If the device allows straight TCP connections directly to it, should be
fine as DW already works with tcp.  If it makes you pretend its a local
serial port by running client software that presents a virtual serial port
on a PC... Maybe.  I have a fancy terminal server with 32 serial ports that
works over IP but you have to use it's weird client and talk to them as
serial ports on the server side.  Its unreliable at best, whereas a cheaper
8 port digi term server here that allows direct "telnet" (really just raw
TCP to/from the serial port) works great.  You can even use the console
and/or aux port on an old Cisco router if you have one of those laying
around, a couple lines in the config turns one into a serial <-> IP
convertor and I've tested that with DW, works fine.