[Coco] RadioShack price matches Amazon in stores.

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Dec 22 22:57:20 EST 2014

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 7:42 PM, Michael Graham <mkgraham at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> I didn't price match with them because I didn't know that was going on, but after looking in a couple of other stores a couple of days ago, Radio Shack somehow managed to have the cheapest USB WiFi adapter available in my town.  It was $25 versus the next cheapest at Wal-Mart for $30.  And since my local Radio Shack does a 10% student discount, I actually got it for $22.50 (though it was still nearly $25 after tax).

I did not know they did a student discount. They didn’t have one back in the late 80s/early 90s when I worked there. Neat, too.

I always try to buy local when I can, but with CompUSA gone, that leaves just Best Buy (and some mom and pop places) to check for things like RAM. I used to find I could get the same or better price locally on RAM than mail order - ditto on some other things. For memory sticks, I’d bounce between Staples/Office Max/Office Depot/Radio Shack/Best Buy and see who had the loss leader pricing on sale.

> Also, they had HDMI to composite video and HDMI to component video converters for $30 each a while back.  I bought the component one first, but then realized it wouldn't do 480i SD (yes, I have an SD CRT TV with component video inputs), so I took it back and got the composite one.  I remember I had been looking at similar adapters online for $40 before I found these, so Radio Shack actually is getting competitive on some of their items.

HDMI to composite? So you can hook an HDMI-output device to an older set? I didn’t know they did that.

I hope to be hooking my CoCo up this week (was supposed to today but…), and then I will be in search of a monitor to use it (so I don’t have to have it on my back room desk). The TV (with composite and VGA input) sounds like it might be the way to go, but thanks to another message here recently, I know I may have to check to make sure it can handle the VGA converted signal.

		— A