[Coco] Glenside IDE problem

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Dec 10 22:11:13 EST 2014

On Wednesday 10 December 2014 19:57:32 Bill Pierce via Coco did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Gene, it's still going... about the 5th time through the format display
> code LOL It's a 4 gig partition.

4Gb, that may be the limit of the drive os9 can handle as its sector
address, a 3 byte hex integer, hits the FAT full and end of its math
ability at $FFFFFF. At 1 sector per cluster, the max drive size is
134.217,728 Mbytes.

At 2 sectors per cluster, you can get to 268.435,456 Mbytes when the FAT
is full. You can only increment this in powers of 2, so a 4 sector cluster
allows a 536.870,912 Mbyte drive. 8 gets you to 1.073,741,824 Gbyte drive.

Next step is 16 sector clusters, and gives a 2.147,483,648 Gbyte drive.

Then 32 gives a 4.294,967,296 Gbyte drive.
But the address passed from RBF to the drivers tops out at $FFFFFF, and
that is sectors, not clusters, but some more kcalc button clicking says
that has also hit the limit at that same 4.294,967,296 Gbyte drive size.

You might get away with it.  It's been going on a couple decades since I
last walked into RBF and kicked the tires and Boisy, maybe others too,
have been there after me, so lets hope that there are not any signed math
operations in how it does it, but that could cause it to fall over at the
2Gbyte point.

But consider this: At 32 sectors per cluster, you could open a file for
writing, and write 8192 bytes before it would have to go back to the FAT
and allocate another bits worth of space, another 8192 bytes, to that
files allocation.  A bit mind boggling.  OTOH, one of my scsi drives is a
gigabyte, running at 16 sectors per cluster, and appears to be working
perfectly.

> Ack  kcalc thats only 11,263,744 byte into the drive.  That does seem a
> little slow.  How big is the drive?
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)