[Coco] 1980 CoCoCoding contest? (4K Color BASIC 1.0)

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Dec 9 19:22:02 EST 2014

> On Dec 9, 2014, at 5:34 PM, Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu> wrote:
>
> I think it'd be pretty easy to write a program to put a CoCo 3 into a mode
> that is pretty much 4K Color Basic, so that contest programs could be
> tested on a real CoCo.  It might be as simple as POKE&H8000,0:EXEC&HA000 to
> boot up Color Basic and then CLEAR 200,4096 to give it the memory of a 4K
> machine.

Art,

Something like this would be useful. We could compare the results against an emulated 1980 4K model.

Thinking further... What were the requirements for EDTASM? I'd expect, with it needing memory for the source, then memory for compiled output, it wouldn't be useful on a 4K machine. So:

Would we want a stipulation to be "anything goes, as long as it can RUN on a 4K machine" or "must be generated ON a 4K machine"? Or maybe both ;-)  I have seen some AMAZING 4K demos on other systems, though now I cannot find any in search because 4K is the new HDTV+ format. Grrr.

		-- A