[Coco] 1980 CoCoCoding contest? (4K Color BASIC 1.0)

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Tue Dec 9 18:34:50 EST 2014

I think it'd be pretty easy to write a program to put a CoCo 3 into a mode
that is pretty much 4K Color Basic, so that contest programs could be
tested on a real CoCo.  It might be as simple as POKE&H8000,0:EXEC&HA000 to
boot up Color Basic and then CLEAR 200,4096 to give it the memory of a 4K
machine.
(I was going to say CLEAR 200,&H1000, but I don't think "&H" is legal in
Color Basic.)

Same thing on the CoCo 1/2 except you'd need to run a program to put you in
the all-RAM mode first.

I'd be curious to know if that works, since I'm not certain that $A000
would be the right place to jump into the Color Basic ROM.  The first poke
is to knock out the "E" character at the beginning of the Extended Basic
ROM so that Color Basic's test for the presence of Extended Basic will fail.

Art