[Coco] Mounting CoCoSDC Disk Images in NitrOS-9

tim lindner tlindner at macmess.org
Mon Dec 1 00:32:06 EST 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
> So how do you get the /sdx descriptors to point to a disk image file?  Using
> the current stock nos96309l2v030300coco3_cocosdc.dsk the boot disk shows up
> as /d0, "dir /sd0" or "dir /dd" results in error #244, and I'm getting #247
> errors on a disk image in /d1.  Do I need to dmode my /dx descriptors to
> look like the /sdx?  Am I reading "cylinders" and "sides" /d0 and /d1 don't
> think exist?

The /d0 and /d1 descriptors go thru the old wd79x code. That code has
for years calculated a track number and sector number and side number
from an LSN. Stuffs them in the FDC registers, and expects the disk
hardware to find the specific sector.

The CoCoSDC supports that mode.

But the CoCoSDC also has an LBA mode. The /sd0 and /sd1 use that code
(it lives in llcocosdc.asm). A few days ago I fixed a bug that would
cause an error going back and forth between /dx and /sdx. Be sure to
update your repo. I should check the nightly builds and see if they
are working.... Nope. Everything is dated April 30, 2014.

http://www.nitros9.org/latest/

I'll ping Boisy and see if I can get that updating again.

But I really suggest getting NitrOS-9 building on your
Mac/Windows/Linux machine.

> Nick M. mentioned a manual, but I haven't found any
> documentation pertaining to CoCoSDC and NitrOS-9, but I'm probably looking
> in the wrong place.

I found an outdated manual here:

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Documents/Manuals/Hardware/Coco%20SDC%20%28rev%20A%29%20%28Darren%20Atkinson%29.pdf

As far as software it looks like there will eventually be:

sdir for listing disk images on an sd card
sdrive for mounting, unmount existing and new disk images in the 2 slots.
sinfo for displaying which images are currently mounted in the 2 slots.

tim lindner