[Coco] CoCo in Retro Gamer Magazine

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Wed Aug 27 16:32:23 EDT 2014

nickma2 at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> The CoCo3 came out in 1986. When did the Dragon become unavailable in
> the UK?

Well Dragon Data went under long before that...

> I have seen adverts from UK Tandy stores (InterTan?) advertising the
> CoCo3 but maybe this was only in some stores as a special import?

Yeah?  Never saw any suggestion of it myself, and not seen anyone claim
to have one.  Interesting that they advertised though.  Tandy was Tandy
in the UK, btw.

> They were made in PAL and 220 volt format for the Australian market so
> I can't see why not sell them in the UK (with a UK plug).

Yeah thanks to a Aussie, I do have one - works great here!

> Also, by 1986, the Atari ST and Amiga was the "must get" systems. Why
> go 8-bit when 16bit can be had for not much more?

Quite.  Well, those that weren't misguidedly tempted towards the
Sam Coupé, anyway.  Though I think it was somewhat later than you
suggest that they were generally available (for which perhaps just read
"affordable").

..ciaran