[Coco] CoCoFEST - Dart Time Sharing System Contest

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Tue Aug 26 18:20:51 EDT 2014

 Thanks for your reply Kip. I meant to send this message to the list, but my mobile device somehow insist on replying to the original sender. I have changed it so that this follow up is received by the group.

I found the documentation that you mentioned. It is here:

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dartmouth/BASIC_Oct64.pdf

Interestingly (or weirdly) enough the error message that I am getting does not appear in the listing that presents the possible errors. So either the documentation neglected to include it or it is a new error message.

I had an unprecedented moment of sanity and found what my problem is. It is the end. (Literally.) It seems that any BASIC program entered into the simulator needs to have an end statement. If it does not then it presents this unusual message.

I also tried following the procedure that you outlined: Hello, system basic and new, but this did not help. In fact from what I was able to figure out the login and system basic commands are optional. More testing with this before I can verify.

Honestly, I am not liking the simulator. I tend to be a nostalgic fool, so having the chance to experience what Dartmouth students did back in 1964 was breathtaking, but the simulator itself has various problems (or annoyances):

1. When I run it insists on positioning itself partly off screen. The simulator's title bar is off screen, so if I want to minimize or move the window I can't. I have to resort to Alt-Space, Move to accomplish this.

2. The simulator's window does not auto paint. If I have another window on top of it and move it the simulator's screen stays blank until I have focus on it and click inside the window.

3. The simulator insists on using anywhere from 80 to 95% of the CPU. This brings other apps to a crawl. I ended up closing the simulator so I could use other apps. In all fairness though, on my Intel quad core the CPU usage never went above 25%.

Ok, I tested. I started up the simulator and directly went ahead and typed in a small program (two lines, one of which was END) and it ran fine. No need to login or specify BASIC. :-)

Best regards, Salvador