[Coco] Coco 3 Crashes shortly after booting NitrOS-9 v3.3.0

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Aug 14 08:04:46 EDT 2014

Kip Koon wrote:
> Hi Coco 3 Hardware Experts!
>
> I have a Coco 3 with 512KB Memory that passes the MEMTEST.BIN program just
> fine so I know all the ram is good.  After booting NitrOS-9 I disassembled
> BASIC09.  After the disassembly is complete, the very next key I press
> crashes NitrOS-9.  This is happening on my main Coco 3 system and the TEST
> Coco 3 I use for testing.  I have pulled the GIME chip out of the Test Coco
> 3 and reinstalled it.  The Coco 3 still crashes after one disassembly of
> Basic09.  Do I have a possible thermal problem or is there any other issues
> to consider?  Thank you in advance for any help you can give.  Take care my
> friends.
>

> Kip Koon

Kip,

You have a very simple method for determining if the problem is with your Coco
or with the software being run. Use an emulator and repeat EXACTLY the steps
that cause your hardware to crash. If the emulator does not crash, that suggests
a hardware problem if the settings on the emulator are correct. If the emulator
crashes, that suggests there is a problem with software.

Why don't you post exactly what you do step by step to cause the crash? Include
the size of OS9Boot, the amount of free memory (mfree), the number of screens
(shells) active, etc.?

Robert