[Coco] Copy files from Coco-3's physical drives to DW4 virtual disk

Kandur k at qdv.pw
Fri Aug 8 20:58:40 EDT 2014

Robert,

> Kandur wrote:
>> I'm making copies of an HD backup set of 28, 5.25" DS DD 96tpi floppies
>> to DW disks, hoping to restore the original SCSI HD's content.
>> I modified the drive to rotate at 300 rpm, OS-9 can read it and write to it.
>> http://qdv.pw/coco/?p=128
>> This process is slow, and painful, but seem to be working.
>> http://qdv.pw/coco/?p=185
>> Any suggestions?
>> Kandur

> Kandur,

> You have two threads going on the same topic so you may already have solved this
> problem. You have booted NitrOS-9 and /DD presumably is drive0 on the Coco. You
> access DW4 via the /Xn descriptors so any file transfers need to be from /DD to
> say /X1.

I should have remembered that, shame on me.
> You will need to format virtual disks to mount on DW. You should be able to do
> that by mounting zero byte files on DW

I had no idea, how to mount a zero byte files on DW,
so I deleted all files from a NitrOS-9 boot disk
and mounted that empty disk on on DW server instead.
> and running format on the Coco. You can't
> copy anything until the virtual disks on DW are formatted.

I was able to copy 26 of 28 floppies to virtual disks on DW
two of them were rattling and squeaking, and couldn't be read.
> Now you should load dsave into memory.
> load dsave
> Then change the disk in drive0 to any other disk physically then
> chd /dd
> dsave /x1 ! shell -p
> That should move all files from drive0 to drive /x1 except for OS9Boot.

Actually each floppy had only one file on it,
so, I just copied them over, with the copy command.
> If you get any errors about missing programs, make sure those programs are
> loaded into memory along with dsave before running dsave.

> Robert

I found, that I had to export the virtual disks from the DW server
to a physical HD on the PC, before closing it.

Kandur