[Coco] Copy files from Coco-3's physical drives to DW4 virtual disk

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Aug 8 17:47:21 EDT 2014

Kandur wrote:
> I'm making copies of an HD backup set of 28, 5.25" DS DD 96tpi floppies
> to DW disks, hoping to restore the original SCSI HD's content.
> I modified the drive to rotate at 300 rpm, OS-9 can read it and write to it.
> http://qdv.pw/coco/?p=128
> This process is slow, and painful, but seem to be working.
> http://qdv.pw/coco/?p=185
> Any suggestions?
>
> Kandur

Kandur,

You have two threads going on the same topic so you may already have solved this
problem. You have booted NitrOS-9 and /DD presumably is drive0 on the Coco. You
access DW4 via the /Xn descriptors so any file transfers need to be from /DD to
say /X1.
You will need to format virtual disks to mount on DW. You should be able to do
that by mounting zero byte files on DW and running format on the Coco. You can't
copy anything until the virtual disks on DW are formatted.
Now you should load dsave into memory.
load dsave
Then change the disk in drive0 to any other disk physically then
chd /dd
dsave /x1 ! shell -p
That should move all files from drive0 to drive /x1 except for OS9Boot.

If you get any errors about missing programs, make sure those programs are
loaded into memory along with dsave before running dsave.

Robert