[Coco] 6809 compilers

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Aug 7 13:01:54 EDT 2014

On 08/07/2014 11:52 AM, Joel Ewy wrote:
> On 08/07/2014 10:49 AM, Kandur wrote:
>> Thank you William, for the explanation.
>> I should apologize for the incorrect subject of this thread.
>> "6809 assemblers" may have been better, even tho, an assembler is a
>> type of a compiler that translates assembly language  source code to
>> machine code.
>> That's all I wanted to do.
>> Learning from the many great help I received, perhaps the best
>> subject should have been,
>> "6809  assemblers for OS-9".
>> Wondering, what tools may have been used by the author in 1982,
>> to produce this code?  http://qdv.pw/eng/_text/Coco/lrt-sb.zip
>
> That code would probably have been assembled by the OS-9 asm
> assembler, running under the OS-9 operating system.  Probably OS-9
> Level I, possibly on a 64K CoCo, or maybe another 6809-based computer
> like a GIMIX or SWTPC.

Actually, it looks like the LRtech Superboard was a SCSI adapter for the
CoCo (3) from a little later on in the '80s, so it might have been code
for the rma assembler instead.  I'm not sure I could tell the difference
at a glance.  May have been developed on a CoCo 3 in OS-9 Level II.  But
it is definitely OS-9 device driver and device descriptor code.

JCE