[Coco] disk images in VCC

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Apr 26 15:35:16 EDT 2014

Wayne, how did you copy it? How did you create the disk?
Some forms of copying disks do not work well between Vcc & dw4.
Below are some of those problems

A word of warning... In NitrOS-9, do not create or format any DSKs or VHDs to be used in Vcc (or XRoar or in DriveWire for that matter), by using the DW4 slots and formating them there. The /x0 - /x3 device descriptors in NitrOS9 are not set properly for the format/type disk that Vcc creates/uses. There will be nothing but problems. If you create a new dsk image (from scratch), do it in Vcc's floppy drives as and use the JVC format with whatever number of tracks (35, 40, 80) that you want and the number of sides you want, then format it in Vcc.
If you create a DSK or VHD in DW4, it creates an "expandable" image that is not compatible with Vcc's drive formats and will not properly format in Vcc (NOS9 or RSDOS). I create all VHD from a "blank VHD" set with the standard $5A000 OS9 partition as this is Vcc's EmuDsk descriptor's settings. Anytime I want a new VHD, I just copy this file to a new location and rename it.
Disk images can be created in Vcc by going to the floppy drive menu and "inserting" a disk with the new (non-existant) name. Vcc will then prompt for disk type, trcks, and sides.

I have rebuilt my device descriptors in NitrOS9 for "/X0 - /X3" to match EmuDsk "ddh0.dd" and "h0.dd" starting with "dns=value" and all values after that one. VHDs now format properly in a dw4 slot and can be used in Vcc's or Mess'  "native" drives.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com