[Coco] King's Quest IV Update

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Apr 25 22:27:37 EDT 2014

On 25/04/2014 7:46 PM, Bill Pierce wrote:
> Nick, those controls are standard in all Sierra games. I have no idea why they chose such an odd convention. To move diagnally, use <cntl.<arrow> (I think). <Cntl><Break> brings up the menu (I think), it's been a while since I played them.
> The music is a leftover from the original machine as only a few of the Sierra games were ever done for the Coco. On the original Coco versions (King's quest 3, Leisure Suit Larry etc), either the music can be interrupted, or there was no music (in some).
> I read somewhere that Sierra quit doing the Coco ports of their games because the Color Computer community had the largest software pirate base, therefore the smallest profit margin.

Shame about this odd control system.

I fired up the Amiga version of the same, same graphics and the game
uses normal arrow key conventions.

The Music can also be interrupted/bypassed. Athough it still uses those
"beepy" notes, it does use 2 part harmony (2 channels).

I would have thought it may be possible under OS-9 to change a few
things like add a better sound driver supporting Orchestra 90.

Nick