[Coco] CoCoFEST - Video Streaming Via Skype

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Thu Apr 24 23:55:26 EDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:53:50PM +1000, Nick Marentes wrote:
> >Nick, I don't understand your tone. As I've pointed out earlier today (and has been discussed on this list previously)
> >Nothing is preventing the fest from being streamed!!!!! The GCCC however isn't in a position to do the streaming and will
> >not take up that responsibility.
> >
> >Again for those that missed it: Nothing is preventing the fest from being streamed!!!! The GCCC however isn't in a position to do
> >the streaming and will not take up that responsibility.
> >
> I'm sorry if my frustration is coming across as... frustration.
>
> You're right. The issue of streaming comes up every year and while I
> don't expect the GCCC to manage the streaming, it would be
> beneficial and timely if it looked for volunteers to do it for them
> rather than wait for someone to put up their hand.
>
> Had I not opened the discussion of the fest this weekend, how many
> others would not have even realized it was on?
>
> I don't mean to cause problems and I will end it here, but I do know
> that my thinking is shared by many of us devoted CoCo users around
> the world.
>
> Like was mentioned in an earlier post, there has been a bit of a
> resurgence in the CoCo (and retro computing in general).
> Opportunities are there but sometimes in needs someone else to light
> the spark.
>
> In the end, I believe I have done that and if those that have
> stepped up to attempt the stream for this weekend, whatever the
> outcome of your efforts, will be greatly appreciated by CoCo users
> around the world.

I think we both did a bit of venting of frustration and I apologize for my tone. I don't think you're causing problems and in fact know
that you mean well. I also agree that we (GCCC) need to do a better job of promoting the fest and are doing what we can to get the word
out about the GCCC and the fest. It's important to remember that the local glenside group has a small "core" group with  about 5 people
doing most of the work of oganizing the fest which includes booking the facilities, making dinner reservations, etc, etc, etc, etc. All
while working a "day job", family obligations, etc.

All this while the landscape of the 8bit hobbiest community is rapidly changing. Which is why I asked for suggestions for ideas of how to
reach people interested in the coco that don't know that we exist. We really are trying and doing what we can and know to do.

The Other Frank