[Coco] CoCoFEST - Video Streaming Via Skype

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Thu Apr 24 21:01:14 EDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:50:06AM +1000, Nick Marentes wrote:
> On 25/04/2014 9:28 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> >Skype publishes bandwidth requirements for various activities:
> >
> >https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1417/how-much-bandwidth-does-skype-need
> >
> >If the internet access is the same as last year, you will not have enough
> >bandwidth to support more than a handful of users, and that will only work
> >if no one else at the fest uses the internet connection.
> >
> >Some of us have ideas for improving the internet access that may work, but
> >Skype is still a bad choice for this type of thing.  I highly recommend you
> >look at solutions that are designed for the task at hand.  Examples include
> >ustream and Justin.TV
> >
> >In any case, I will be there and try to help if I can.
> >

> Yahoo Aaron!
>
> But folks, it's not fair to Aaron to be the one monitoring the
> webcam on the day.
>
> Aaron could set up but it would be nice if people there could pitch
> in at times of little activity to just move the camera and maybe tap
> a few words to the chat to keep the rest of the global CoCo
> community informed.
>
> I know, i know. "They haven't paid and gone to the effort to attend".
>
> Yeah, then send me $1800 for the airfare from Australia and I'll be
> there in an instant!   :)

<snip>

Nick, I don't understand your tone. As I've pointed out earlier today (and has been discussed on this list previously)
Nothing is preventing the fest from being streamed!!!!! The GCCC however isn't in a position to do the streaming and will
not take up that responsibility.

Again for those that missed it: Nothing is preventing the fest from being streamed!!!! The GCCC however isn't in a position to do
the streaming and will not take up that responsibility.

If those that can't attend the fest want to get together and hire someone to do the stream you're free to do so! Over the past years
Aaron has been doing the streaming over the past few years using his equipment and network bandwidth. Thank you Aaron for all your work.

Sorry about the rant but the issue about streaming the fest seems to come up every year. The GCCC won't be streaming the fest this year and
has no desire to to stream the in the future. If someone is willing and able to stream the fest chooses to attend the fest and provide a stream they
are welcome to do so. If a group of people want to hire someone to attend the fest and stream the fest they are free to do that as well!

The Other Frank