[Coco] CoCoFest - No promotion?

Randall Kindig randall.kindig at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 16:27:07 EDT 2014

I hope I was able to help in some small way with that by having an episode
of the Floppy Days Podcast about the upcoming Fest.  That episode got over
800 downloads, so the word got out to at least that many people, who are
likely all vintage computing enthusiasts.

I also mentioned it on the Antic Podcast.

Randy
host Floppy Days Podcast
co-host Antic Podcast

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Nick Marentes <nickma2 at optusnet.com.au>wrote:

> On 25/04/2014 6:15 AM, Frank Pittel wrote:
>
>> Nick,
>>
>> The fest has been advertised on the GCCC webpage for a while now. I know
>> it's been talked about here and
>> on the coco IRC. I'm not sure but unless I'm mistaken it's alre been
>> discussed in the coco related facebook
>> pages.
>>
>> I hope this isn't considered the hijacking of this thread but I am
>> seriously interested in how the fest could
>> be better promoted to both coco users but also to people that have an
>> interest in the coco but doesn't know
>> about the GCCC or other coco related resources. If anyone has any serious
>> ideas they will be given full consideration.
>>

> I must admit, I don't look at the FaceBook page.
>
> This CoCoList is more-or-less the "nerve centre" of CoCo communications
> for a larger part of the global CoCo community.
>
> I just haven't heard much "buzz" about it here and so forgot about it.
>
> Maybe more frequent e-mails on this list of what is planned at the fest?
> It's not enough to simply mention it once and then tick that off as done.
> With the number of messages that appear on this list, it's easy to miss a
> message or forget about it over time (as I did).
>
> Leading up to the fest, it needs to be repeated and an attempt to create
> some chatter about it. This chatter will lead to finding more people who
> may pitch in to offer to do a talk, bring some items of interest to the
> fest and most importantly, promote the fest to gain more attendees.
>
> I remember when I was organising PennFest 2000, I began organising and
> promoting the fest 9 months prior to the actual event. I periodically
> maintained the website and kept it up to date with the planning of events
> and even provided a growing list of people who planned to attend so that
> others contemplating attending could see who else was going. All this from
> the other side of the planet (I'm in Australia and flew to the US).
>
> Via the internet, I made contact with people, arranging for special
> guests, talks, demos and live IRC/web cam.
>
> My complete Pennfest 2000 report web page has been up for years and
> available for anyone to glean ideas.
>
> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nickma/ProjectArchive/pennfest2000.html
>
> Nick

Randy