[Coco] [OFF] Hitachi MB-6890 information needed

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 22 13:55:25 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 22 April 2014 13:49:13 Retro Canada did opine:

> and maybe this machine was the reason for Hitachi to design the 6309
> without motorola approval

Correction, the contract with moto was to make a workalike clone in cmos,
but hitachi never saw a moto chip mask.  They were much more advanced in
cmos than moto was, made the workalike, but had so much empty space in the
microcode table that their folks had lots of fun adding stuff.  But their
clone contract with moto precluded it being promoted as better, only a
clone in cmos.  And that it why to this day, hitachi will not even give a
reply comment to any questions about its improved abilities.

> On Apr 22, 2014, at 10:02 AM, Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:
>

> Daniel,
> I "googled" "hitachi mb-6890" and found all kinds of articles. One of
> which was the manual page already linked. Another was a forum where
> someone was saying they had a bunch of disks for it and were wondering
> how to read them. Also you can google "hitachi peach" as that seems to
> be the "pet" name of the machine. I also read that many people wondered
> if hitachi was actually using a 6309 instead of a 6809 as the machine
> seemed faster than a 6809 and had much broader capabilities (especially
> graphics) than the average 6809 machine. Tha could explain why they
> never broadened their distribution of the machine... Motorola probably
> wouldn't have liked it :-) This machine may be a candidate for a
> NitrOS-9 port...

Breaking the warranty seals and taking a look would answer that question.

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

> Co-Webmaster of The TRS-80 Color Computer Archive
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)