[Coco] WHAT MANNER OF UNHOLY WIZARDRY IS THIS?

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Sun Apr 20 22:52:15 EDT 2014

On 14-04-20 06:44 PM, Arthur Flexser wrote:
> Bill, putting the drive number before rather than after the filename has
> always been a legal alternate syntax in Disk Basic.

Huh. Who knew. It's the first I've ever heard of it, too. But I just
looked at the code in the original DECB ROM and sure enough, it
specifically checks for that case. However, the check only works for a
single digit drive number and the number can only be 0, 1, 2, or 3.

HDBDOS does eliminate that particular "feature". The existing code
couldn't possibly work with drive numbers more than one digit long and
given that the prefix drive number syntax is not documented anywhere
official, it was a prime candidate as somewhere to clobber for including
a patch for something else.

I suspect this one is possibly a holdover from other systems that used a
prefix drive letter or something like that.

There are a few other interesting variations accepted by DECB, too, so
this isn't particularly surprising. For instance, the manual says to use
"D" for a random file but "R" is also accepted. One can also prefix
coordinates for various graphics commands with @. You can also include
random text after the line number on a GOTO or GOSUB without provoking a
syntax error. You can also leave out the THEN keyword on an IF statement
if the command you want to run is GOTO or GOSUB.