[Coco] WHAT MANNER OF UNHOLY WIZARDRY IS THIS?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sun Apr 20 21:38:02 EDT 2014

Having the execution address of end-packed ML code be a few bytes before
the address pointed to by the end-of-program pointer is pretty standard,
BTW.  It allows the Basic program with the end-packed code to be edited,
changing its length, and to still work, assuming the ML is written as
position-independent.  The exec address will still be correct after program
editing because the end-of-program address and the execution address will
move in tandem.  (Step one in setting up such a program is to protect the
ML, and ensure it gets loaded in when the Basic program is loaded, by
poking in a new end-of-program address that points just beyond the end of
the ML that follows the Basic lines.)

Art