[Coco] eBay 6309 chips

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 04:53:32 EDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 6:59 AM, John Strong wrote:

> Indeed 6809 chips are more precious than they used to be, but so is the pc board you are removing they from.

I agree, a CoCo motherboard is much more precious than a 6809
especially since there are still plenty of 6309 replacements.

> If want to try to salvage them without investing in the "proper" tools here is a couple of tricks I have used in the past.
>

> Before unsoldering add a bit of solder (Radio Shack's is OK)to each pin. Typically your solder will have a lower melting point than the solder used on the pc board.  The new solder will mix with the old lowering its melting point.

Make sure you use "bad" solder /with/ lead, which has a lower melting
point than the "green" lead-free solder.

> Next use a "pro" quality desoldering wick (not RadioShacks or use a liquid flux with it) and remove as much solder as possible.

Yes, use a wick that has enough flux in it, the difference is night and day.

Tormod