[Coco] hi kip

Louis Ciotti lciotti at me.com
Mon Apr 14 18:47:57 EDT 2014

On Apr 14, 2014, at 3:23 PM, Tormod Volden <lists.tormod at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gene, I think maybe you mean using gmail as a POP server, and not the
> gmail web client which Arthur and I are talking about. In that case,
> are your own posts not pulled down by POP? In the web client you see
> your own post in the Inbox, but is it not marked as new because gmail
> guesses that you have read it already (one might wish it was right
> about that more often).

> BIG SNIP

> Maybe those 75% are gmail/POP but that's only a minority of gmail users.
>
> Tormod

The issue Gene is having is Google idea of how to handle mail with their conversation view that shows when you view your GMAIL account via a browser.  Since all users have this view and their is no way to disable it, Google in their “we know how to do it” attitude has chosen to remove “duplicates” automatically.  You see in conversation view a thread will be like this >  Tom > Sally > Me  > Pete.  My sent post is automatically inserted in along the conversation view thread.  If the duplicates we not removed, it would be > Tom > Sally  > Me  > Me  > Pete.  While I agree in conversation view the duplicate needs to be removed, I do not agree how Google deletes the message.  They should just “hide” it in that view.  So people who use GMAIL as POP or IMAP, then they would be able to see their own message when posted to a mailing list that mirrors the original message back to the sending user if they have that option enabled..