[Coco] hi kip

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Apr 14 18:00:22 EDT 2014

On Monday 14 April 2014 17:55:37 Tormod Volden did opine:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 14 April 2014 14:04:27 Tormod Volden did opine:
> >> Gene, why is that such a big problem? Once you see it in your Inbox
> >> (and not only in Sent Mail) you know it has been distributed by the
> >> list server. There is just a slight inconvenience of not being able
> >> to see the full headers from the server with "View Original" - it
> >> would have been more useful if it kept the list server version
> >> instead of the outgoing version.
>
> Gene, I think maybe you mean using gmail as a POP server, and not the
> gmail web client which Arthur and I are talking about. In that case,
> are your own posts not pulled down by POP? In the web client you see
> your own post in the Inbox, but is it not marked as new because gmail
> guesses that you have read it already (one might wish it was right
> about that more often).

Yes, fetchmail is "pop"ing the mail, filtering what it can and stuff the
rest into /var/spool/mail/whoever.  Kmail gets a clue via inotifywait
feeding a dbus link telling kmail new mail is here and goes to get it.

> >> Anyway, as others have pointed out, the best place to verify your
> >> posted mails is the mailing list archive.
> >
> > Which requires I go thru the whole procedure of firing up a browser,
> > locating the archive on the web etc so I can go searching for it,
> > wasting at least 5 to 10 minutes.  If gmail would just return the
> > echo, the rest of
>
> Every post to the list has a link to the mailing archive at the
> bottom, so if you are looking at a CoCo post in your mail client, and
> the mail client is clever enough to linkify URLs, it is just three
> clicks to get to the archive, sorted by date...
>
> > my scripts would simply sort it to the list folder where it is
> > instantly visible with no action on my part.  If gmail wants to be
> > the back end of a horse by doing that, I guess that is their choice,
> > so mine is not to use it.  And I will continue to point this out
> > every time someone says they can't see their own posts.  gmail use is
> > the problem about 75% of the time, and its not list specific, its
> > gmail specific.
>
> Maybe those 75% are gmail/POP but that's only a minority of gmail users.
>
> Tormod

And while that works, I have done it in a pinch, its a very clunky, slow
way to read ones mail.  If I use tls, the guy in the middle wanting to know
what my mail says can go pound sand.  I rather like it that way. :)