[Coco] DCD's (Good Old) 68HC08 MCU Is Going Strong

john dumas JohnDumas at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 09:20:50 EDT 2014

On 4/9/2014 10:17 AM, James Jones wrote:
> Thanks for the link. I've never understood why Motorola, then Freescale and
> others, put out the 680x processors they do and not the 6809, or even 6309.
>
> James
Cannot comment on the later day reasons, but early on there were, at
least, two
reasons for the benign neglect of the 09. The 68K came out shortly after
and,
being seen as "the future", was given the Big Boy Pants status. And the
a great extent, got the Redheaded Stepchild treatment.

Also there was a political reason - that would be denied by all
involved, no doubt.
There was intense dislike - and worse - of Terry by many in Marketing
and Management.
As he was a co-parent of the 09, it reaped more than it's share of that
hostility.
Sad that some people can't handle a smart, creative designer, lacking the
humility that they think appropriate................

What a shame. It has been said so many times that the 09 is the finest 8
bitter
ever designed. So very true!

johnd